The ESG Programme Manager will play a critical role in the delivery of the company's Sustainability Strategy Roadmap. The Successful candidate will be required to work closely with the Company's inhouse senior Leadership Team in addition to engaging with the company's core investor, a major pension fund with strong ESG credentials, with a view to deliver a significant Sustainability strategy. This strategy will apply to both existing developments, in addition to any new developments within the portfolio of PBSA and Co-living assets. This individual will be a strong project manager and have the ability and confidence to execute the implementation of this strategy through to its conclusion.
The role will be quite varied, involving a knowledge and understanding of all three elements, namely Environmental, Social and Governance. The right candidate will interact with the Sustainability Consultants who wrote the strategy, as well as the investors, to ensure all stakeholder expectations are managed.
The key responsibilities will include:
- Fully oversee the development, benchmarking, implementation and review of appropriate sustainability objectives, targets and improvement programmes for the company's Property portfolio.
- Implement the strategy towards net Zero, both from a building and internal working practices perspective.
- Respond to requests for information regarding any portfolio's ESG performance from rating and reporting agencies, current or prospective investors and other stakeholders.
- Work with wider team to monitor changes in legislation and best practice to ensure continuing legal compliance and best practice in the UK.
- Create guidelines, checklists, policies, procedures and other related programme content to align with best practice and legislation.
- Provide ESG advice, across the whole property life cycle, as needed.
- Develop ESG training, guidance and toolkits to ensure the wider teams understand and follow their responsibilities in line with this strategy.
- Create reporting and monitoring systems to analyse performance.
- Work closely with the marketing to develop internal and external communications.
- Regularly update the boards/committees and prepare reports where required.
- Maintain positive internal and external relationships with key stakeholders to support the implementation of the strategy.
The above list of responsibilities is not exhaustive, and you may be required to undertake other responsibilities and training as requested by your line manager.
Key skills, attributes and experience
- Good knowledge of, and experience with ESG/sustainability reporting standards, frameworks and ratings and rankings such as Principals for Responsible Investment (PRI), Global Real Estate Sustainability Benchmark (GRESB) etc.
- Knowledge of relevant standards and schemes including Global Reporting Initiative (GRI), GRESB, Taskforce for Climate Related Financial Disclosure (TCFD), CDP & EMS ISO 14001 Desirable skills and knowledge
- Bachelor’s degree required, MBA or other master's degree preferable.
- Minimum of 5 years of sustainability experience, investment advisory and/or client management experience within a Real Estate discipline.
- Minimum of 2 years ESG reporting experience or professional ESG training such as the CFA certificate in ESG investing or IPF, CISL or other equivalents
- Experience in developing and implementing sustainability strategies, preferably within the build environment/real estate sectors.
- Understanding of key ESG issues affecting investors.
- Experience developing ESG/sustainability reports in accordance with recognised standards
- Experience preparing corporate/inhouse ESG/sustainability reports.
- Strong Project & Stakeholder Management skills
- Ability to foster and maintain collaborative relationships across department, company investors
- Ability to problem-solve and manage multiple priorities.
- Willingness and ability to travel across multiple sites the UK.