PRC are currently recruiting a House Parent for an ultra-prime Student Accommodation Development located in West London.
The position will pay up to £25,000 in addition to catered accommodation plus bills.
Please find all details below for the working hours of this position and a description of all duties/requirements:
Hours of work
A flexible approach to the specific hours worked is necessary in meeting the pastoral needs of our residents.
The House Parent employed would be expected to work on a rota basis 5 days a week and will have two full days off during a 7-day period. The House Parent would be required to work three out of four weekends. They would be required to work approx. 40 hours per week.
Purpose of the Job
To assist the General Manager and Principal in marketing, room inspections, lettings and all administration required. Help to meet occupancy targets and to maximise income through outside revenue incentives e.g. filming.
Focusing core responsibilities around the pastoral care and welfare of all residents and contribute to the social programme to ensure residents enjoyment and wellbeing. To provide support, guidance and advise to both prospective and existing residents, covering a variety of issues including, but not limited to accommodation availability, allocations, rent arrears and contractual issues. To ensure the highest level of care and supervision is always provided and the welfare and safeguarding of resident needs are always put first.
To liaise with both internal and external partners to ensure that a first-class service is always delivered and to continually work to build an engaging community.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Reception Service and Administration
- To always provide a friendly and knowledgeable welcome to all residents / visitors and contractors.
- To make and receive phone calls and receive and answer emails in a professional and polite manner from residents, parents, prospective residents and parents, internal and external partners and the general public within an appropriate time scale.
- Manage meeting arrangements and inform relevant staff members.
- To actively encourage feedback from residents, visitors and contractors via booking channels, questionnaire, face to face and suggestion box and record and act upon accordingly, including advising General Manager and Principal of feedback and actions taken to resolve / promote.
- Handling and assisting in the resolution of complaints compassionately and professionally and escalating them to General Manager and Principal if required to do so.
- Handling all post / parcels for staff and residents efficiently and logging any signed for deliveries and informing residents of postal arrival.
- Ensuring the residence diary is kept up to date with all activity and lists everything which needs a further action.
- Maintaining all necessary welfare documentation, updating the reception diary.
- Maintaining the noticeboards and ensure they are up to date with all Residence information
- Ensuring that reception and lobby area is kept clean and tidy at all times.
- Provision of relief for reception during staff breaks, leave and rostered on-call duties.
- Ensure circulation of all relevant notices, letter and information to residents
- To undertake any data entry / retrieval as necessary
- Take a lead role in student induction and departures, ensuring residents are fully inducted and all supporting documentation actioned and filed.
- Oversee the Residence inventory and assist with the ordering of replacement items and preparing rooms and residential sites for new student arrivals which might include making up beds, cleaning rooms and bathrooms.
- Manage and support all the house staff including housekeepers and night receptionist in performing their duties in the house.
- Support the General Manager in any duties required
- In conjunction with the General Manager and Principal, ensure that risk assessments and fire risk assessments are reviewed and updated regularly.
Pastoral Care and Safeguarding
- Work as part of a team to ensure the highest level of pastoral care is provided to residents and ensure any issues are recorded and resolved promptly.
- Provide support and signposting for residents with welfare considerations and problems and notify / escalate to General Manager and Principal at all times.
- Promoting the safeguarding, physical and emotional wellbeing of all residents dealing with any issues promptly and offering continued support, as and when required
- Hold regular floor meetings with Floor Representatives and carry out room inspections
- Being proactive in supervising students when on duty, having regular contact and interaction
- Hold regular meetings with students to convey important messages and to promote wellbeing initiatives
- Lead in the social activities within the residence, gain feedback, organise and participate.
- Contribute to creating a homely residence, to help and encourage residents to flourish and develop in their confidence and studies
Accommodation and Finance
- Assist with room allocations as required by General Manager and Principal.
- Assist in maintaining full occupancy throughout the year, including managing waitlist, arrivals and departures along with correct and relevant information / communication.
- Processing any invoices / accommodation deposits and payments and providing reports for General Manager and Principal.
- Under the direction of the General Manager and Principal allocate rooms, send offers out by email and deal with related correspondence. Set response deadlines, monitor students’ responses, check deposits are paid on time, cancel accommodation places where response deadlines missed.
- Log all maintenance issues and always communicate to Maintenance Manager of these.
- Arranging and issuing tenancy agreements, keys, inventory items within a timely manner
- Train temporary staff on the use of service and systems and building policies and procedures.
- Provide up to date information on Code of Conduct, Tenancy Agreement and Policies and Procedures.
Health and Safety
- Maintaining the safety and security of the residence buildings by reviewing CCTV, making regular patrols, ensuring doors and windows are locked and visitors are signed in and out.
- Working with the nights staff on maintaining student safety.
- Complete regular checks to ensure the building is in a good state of repair, rooms are comfortable, and students are satisfied with their living arrangements.
- Dealing with any logistical issues while on duty
- Understanding and follow all company policies and procedures e.g Health and Safety, Operational Procedures, Risk Assessments and Method Statements.
- Comply with Fire Safety Procedures and be competent in Fire Evacuation and a role model for residents, visitors and contractors.
- First Aid
- Responding to inquiries and emergencies during scheduled and on call duties.
- Working within Health & Safety at Work Act, always taking reasonable care for H&S both for themselves and others.